The USS CLAMAGORE (SS-343) was commissioned in 1945 and served for 30 years during the Cold War. In 1948, USS CLAMAGORE was converted to the Greater Underwater Propulsion Program, or GUPPY II status, to improve its underwater performance and to GUPPY III status by 1963. A 15-foot (55 ton) section was added forward of the control room to accommodate upgrades in technology. This was the ultimate upgrade for World War II era diesel-powered submarines. The sub was decommissioned in June 1975.
A proud addition to the Patriots Point fleet in 1981, USS CLAMAGORE is the only GUPPY III submarine preserved in the United States. In 1989, it was designated a National Historic Landmark.
|Length:||322 ft 5 in (98 m)|
|Speed:||17.2 knots (31.85 km/h) surface; 14.5 knots (26.85 km/h) submerged (30 minutes)|
|Range:||15,900 nm (29,400 km) at 8.5 knots (15.7 km/h) on surface|
|Armament:||10 x 21 in (533 mm) torpedo tubes, (6 forward, 4 aft), 24 torpedoes|
Above specifications circa 1962 (GUPPY III)