CLAMAGORE is the only GUPPY III submarine preserved in the United States.
The CLAMAGORE (SS-343) was built as a Balao-class submarine by Electric Boat Co., Groton, CT. Commissioned too late for action in World War II, CLAMAGORE would serve 30 years during the Cold War. In 1948, CLAMAGORE underwent GUPPY II conversion to improve underwater performance. GUPPY was the term used by the Navy for its Greater Underwater Propulsion Program.
CLAMAGORE was one of only nine submarines converted to GUPPY III (1962-63). A 15-foot (55 ton) section was added (forward of the control room) to accommodate upgrades in technology. This would be the ultimate upgrade for World War II era diesel-powered submarines. CLAMAGORE was decommissioned in June 1975.
Added to the Patriots Point fleet in 1981, CLAMAGORE is the only GUPPY III submarine preserved in the United States. In 1989, CLAMAGORE was designated a National Historic Landmark.
For more information, visit this link or the HNSA listing for the CLAMAGORE
, and the CLAMAGORE Association
|Active Duty Military w/ ID
|Active Duty Military in Uniform
|Children (6 to 11)
|Children under 6 with Adult Ticket
322 ft 5 in (98 m)
27 ft 4 in (8.3 m)
16 ft (4.9 m)
four 5400 hp diesel engines; four 2740 hp (2.0 MW) electric motors; two propellers
17.2 knots (31.85 km/h) surface; 14.5 knots (26.85 km/h) submerged (30 minutes)
15,900 nm (29,400 km) at 8.5 knots (15.7 km/h) on surface
36 hours at 3 knots (5.6 km/h) submerged
8 officers, 72 enlisted
10 x 21 in (533 mm) torpedo tubes, (6 forward, 4 aft), 24 torpedoes
Above specifications circa 1962 (GUPPY III)