USS CLAMAGORE was commissioned on 28 June 1945, as the war in the Pacific was drawing to a close. Based at Charleston for much of her career, she cruised Atlantic and Mediterranean waters for nearly thirty years.
Twice modified from her original World War II configuration, Clamagore continued in service as one of the U. S. Navy’s last diesel-powered submarines until decommissioned in 1975. She was rowed to Patriots Point in May 1981 and opened to the public in November.
Aboard the Clamagore, it is easy to visualize what it was like to live onboard a submarine, visit her control room, crew’s berthing and mess areas, engine rooms, maneuvering room and a memorial to submariners lost at sea.
Click on the below for other submarine links: